Monday, May 4, 2020

Pushing Paint, Strumming, Singing, and Cracking Jokes

















My friend Anjl is a wildly talented artist, beautiful soul and brings JOY to anything she does. She sings, plays string instruments, makes you laugh (both personally and professionally) AND paints! I know, it's almost too much! 💗 Besides that, she is a kind human being, that I'm lucky to call friend. Even tho she's miles away living in Seattle, when we do reconnect it's like no time has passed. 


These photos are part of a promo for painting with Anjl. Our mutual friend, Jason, produced, directed, and will be editing it. 

She traveled back to Wisconsin to be filmed. It was two HOT days during summer (like melting HOT) but she and Jason kept their cool. See what I did there?  The shoot ended at Paddy's Irish Pub in a downpour that flooded streets! Those two days were crazy fun. Sidenote, ever been to Paddy's Irish Pub, sober, raise your hand. It is a surreal place. Nicest owners tho.

What inspires you?

 I am SO happiness inspired. Maybe Joy with a capitol J is the better word? Everything gives me Joy: beautiful things, nostalgic things, all the music and all the people. Especially family.


What keeps you focused or going? The people who come paint with me are 100% the thing that keeps me going. I have no doubt that I get more out of it than they do, and that's OK it's all about me. KIDDING! She's a joker, like I said. I get such amazing feedback from people - this is an email I got last week: "I have told so many people that the first class I took with you(my Wife "made me go")...it really has helped me in so many ways. It is my therapy! I think we might have mentioned before, that I'm a combat Veteran who has struggled immensely with post-traumatic stress, painting has really meant a lot to me since that first class...from thinking I wasn't artistic to actually publicly posting paintings I've done is still surreal! Nothing else has me more positively focused...my psychologist thinks it's one of the greatest things I've done in the past 5 years! I really can't thank you enough for getting me so enthused about art and the way I look at the world, and I'm willing to help in any way I can to repay that to you." 


How long have you been self-employed, Queen of the Castle?

I've been self employed for 8 yeas. The first 3 of those years were great - I was doing freelance design and illustration. I liked doing that, but honestly it was always more about the paycheck than the work. I also do improv with ComedySportz on weekends, here in Seattle. I heard about this paint and sip phenomenon - I got so excited! I thought, between the art and the comedy, I am uniquely qualified to do this for a living! The local paint and sip chain offered me a gig working Tuesdays at a local bar, and I thought...nah. I'm going to buy easels and do it myself. I started my own business, having never attended one of these things myself. 

What's in your fridge?

I'm so glad I'm answering this question today, and not two days ago. I have lots of fresh veggies, a large bag of gourmet tomato basil soup, and a big jug of iced coffee. ( Two days ago the answer would have been just a jug of iced coffee).

Since March 2020, Anjl teaches virtual painting classes. They're a blast! I'm not one to brag but my Starry Night is unlike any other! ;)  

Sign up for a class to paint your worries away while creating a masterpiece!
https://brushcapadesseattle.com/

Follow her on Instagram to see her original art and more.

https://www.instagram.com/anjlkr/

Facebook- her business BrushCapades (she makes up words too!)

https://www.facebook.com/brushcapadesseattle/

Jason is Kickball Media. Funny, that is how I met Jason playing on a kickball team a 1,000 years ago!

https://kickballmedia.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment