Monday, March 23, 2020

Megan Woodard Johnson Art










Meet Megan Woodard Johnson. We met years ago thru a mutual artist friend. Over the years, we gradually got to know each other bonding over art & life. I love her perspective on life. I feel like I've known her much longer then I have. Megan has a real depth as you can see in her work. Plus, she's lovely, inspiring, emphatic, has a good sense of humor and wonder.

My abstract mixed media work brings together collected materials like vintage school books, ledgers, and hand-written correspondence with expressive layers of colorful paint and drawn marks.This combination of found paper ephemera, which carries history of its own, with my intuitive use of color and abstract mark making creates contemporary paintings that celebrate the energy of the present as well as the nostalgia of the past. 

What inspires me? I'm inspired by the connections we make with one another, the idea of collective memory, and the history that builds in a place as people go about their days, experiencing their days there. I really love when you meet someone new, and suddenly find out you have something in common ( and I love that this realization doesn't generally take very long). 

How do I stay focused? I struggle with focus a lot, to be honest. I work pretty much solo in my studio - and have a tendency to let myself get distracted by putzing around at home before I head to the studio, or by scrolling social media once I'm there. But a deadline is a good motivator - even if it's one for a goal I've set myself. Music gets me going when I need to be in a creative mode, or podcasts or audio books when I'm working on more technical things. 

What's in my Fridge? There is SO much in my fridge at the moment (covid19 prepping), but in general there's a range of basic foods to feed a family of four. Always eggs, cheese, milk & bagels (we have 2 teen boys). We often try to prep basics on the weekend so it's easier to assemble decent lunches and dinner- so on a good week there are a few containers of roasted veggies, cooked grains, and some soup. 

Check out her art online and at upcoming shows (when we're back to normal).




No comments:

Post a Comment